Matcha and Detoxification
I just read a really interesting interview with Walter Crinnion N.D., in the latest issue of Vitamin Retailer magazine. Dr. Crinnion graduated from my alma mater, Bastyr University, in 1982 and is a leader in the field of Environmental Medicine. He is professor and chair of the Environmental Medicine Department at the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and is a best-selling author. In his latest book: Clean, Green and Lean, Dr. Crinnion addresses the issue of detoxification. It is a profound and intelligent book drawing on the best research available on the subject.
In the Vitamin Retailer interview, Dr. Crinnion cites the top 3 components that research has proven will increase the amount of toxins you eliminate, rather than store in fat tissue. They are:
1) Rice Bran Fiber: either from eating brown rice or from a supplement.
2) Chlorophyll: either from supplements or from green foods.
3) Green Tea: Dr. Crinnion recommends 2 20 oz. cups of green tea per day.
Now, here is the thing about using matcha green tea instead of regular green tea for detoxifying and purifying the body;
1) Matcha green tea is powdered green tea which means you get the fiber from the green tea leaf, which means that you get the health benefits of Dr. Crinnion’s first recommendation for detoxification: fiber.
2) Matcha green tea is super abundant in chlorophyll, in fact, matcha is much more abundant in chlorophyll than traditional green teas because of the shade growing process that drives more of it into the spring tea leaves.
3) Matcha green tea has 10 times the nutrition of regular green tea because of the growing and harvesting process and because you consume the entire leaf.
So if you are interested in detoxification and purification of the body for the health benefits, for weight loss, for regulating blood sugar or cravings, then matcha green tea is extremely beneficial.
Matcha green tea consumption covers all the bases of Dr. Crinnion’s top 3 recommendations for natural foods that help the body eliminate toxins. And when toxins are eliminated from the body, the mitochondria function better and you will lose unnecessary weight while rapidly gaining energy.
Not only this, the antioxidant content of matcha green tea, particularly EGCG, is so high, that it supports the formation of pro-oxidants. Antioxidants protect the mitochondria and allow them to produce both ATP and pro-oxidants, setting up a beneficial feedback loop of fat burning and toxin clearing leading to more energy and vitality.
Thus, the health benefits of matcha are truly remarkable and matcha can be used successfully in any detoxification, weight loss or purification protocol.